Wrinkled-Raisin-Reruns - Crafts

Craft ideas on taking used items and re-purposing them or re-newing them in crafty ways to give them a new life instead of ending up in landfills. Perhaps giving you the courage to take some of that "stuff" around your own house and making use of it! I also hope to help in your craft endeavors to save you money.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Crafted Cinnamon Scenters

Any one of these recipes will work for crafting cinnamon scenters. I used recipe #3 (without the glue), and it worked fine.

These cinnamon scenters can be used for other than just holidays (that's why I don't like to call them ornaments)...string them together and you have a cute garland. Using a gingerbread cookie cutter could be used any time of the year. Or how about an angel....either used singlely or two or three painted up and strung hanging down just to add a nice scent to a room.

Because I have made these myself....I thought it would be a good addition as something you could do....and involve the kids if you like. They leave a wonderful scent in the room for a couple of years....after that you can refresh the scent by adding a drop of oil to them.

The main drawback to these is that if you have a dog, they will eat them, so keep them hung high! I gave a set of them to my daughter....two large dogs....you guessed it.....while they were gone, the dogs ate everyone of the cinnamon ornaments she had hung on the tree!

Recipe 1:
  • 1/2 cup ground cinnamon,
  • 1/3 cup applesauce, and
  • 1 Tbs. Tacky glue
Mix in bowl and stir until well blended. Work mixture in hands for three minutes to form a ball. If it is too dry, add applesauce, if too wet, add more cinnamon. Knead ball on cinnamon-sprinkled surface until it holds togehter well. I roll this out and use cookie cutters for the shapes. I also use a drinking straw to cut a hanging hole. These can be air dried for 24 to 48 hours. Turn several times. They can also be baked in a slow oven.

Recipe 2:

  • 1-4 oz. can of cinnamon
  • 1 T. cloves
  • 1 T. nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 T. white glue

Mix dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients Mix thoroughly. Roll out about 1/4" thick, cut shapes with cookie cutters or freehand with a sharp knife. Let dry several days, turning over frequently. Paint. Do not eat!!!

Recipe 3:

  • 1 c. cinnamon
  • 1 t. nutmeg
  • 1 t. allspice
  • 1 t. ground cloves
  • 1 c. applesauce

Combine dry ingredients. Add applesauce a little at a time, mixing thoroughly. Roll out and cut shapes. Use a straw to cut holes. Allow to dry 4-5 days. Paint after completely dry.

Recipe 4:

  • 1 Cup Cinnamon
  • 1 T Cloves
  • 1 T Nutmeg
  • 3/4 C Applesauce
  • 2T White glue
Combine cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg. Add applesauce & glue, stir to combine, work mixture with hands for 2-3 minutes. Divide into 4 parts. Roll each to 1/4" thickness. Use straw or toothpick for hole. Place on wire rack & allow to dry at room temp. Turn after a day. (takes about 2 days to dry).

2 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Jackie, My name is Jackie too! Really is JACQUELINE, but no one calls me that. Anyway, I had to write and tell you..... I LOVE YOUR SITE!!!! You have some of the best ideas, I will TRY to think positive like you and try to come up with some creative ways to reuse other things to come up with something I really like. When I read your post, I think, well, that sounds easy, but you did all the thinking, so now, its my turn!
    Thank you for being so helpful!
    Jackie

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Blogger J. Martin said…

    Welcome, Jackie (my real name is also Jacqueline).

    Glad you like the ideas/projects. I should be posting some new projects I completed, shortly.

    Don't forget to visit:

    http://www.wrinkledraisinreruns.com

    :>)

    Jackie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Tattoo Flash antique toys Valentines Day Gifts Olympus Digital Cameras download art
Text Link Ads
Warp Rocket Counter
Warp Rocket Search Engine